Frequently Asked Questions

Have questions? Check out the most frequently asked questions by our clients and partners. Don’t find what you are looking for? Give us a call! We’d love to help!

When should I submit my tax return documents?

Turn your business returns into Tax Time CPAs by February 15. Individual returns are needed by March 15 to ensure they are submitted to the IRS by their deadlines. Do not worry if you can’t submit them in time. We can file an extension to let the IRS know you need more time. 

What happens if I cannot turn in all my documents on time?

You can still submit documents as you get them. However, we cannot guarantee an on-time tax return filing after the due dates. If we can not file on time, we will file an extension with the IRS and let you know. 

Thanks for checking out our Frequently Asked Questions. Let us know if you don’t find what you are looking for!

If you file an extension with the IRS, can I wait to pay what I owe to the IRS?

No, an extension indicates to the IRS that we are working on the return but need more time. If you owe money to the IRS, you must make an estimated payment by April 15 to avoid penalties.  

What should I do if I owe the IRS money but do not know how much?

Unless you had significant changes to your taxable income between last year and this year, you can expect to pay roughly the same amount. A good rule of thumb is to add 10% to what you paid last year. 

Thanks for checking out our Frequently Asked Questions. Call us if you don’t find the questions you need answering. We are here to help!

If my return requires an extension, when is the return then due?

Once we have filed an extension, business returns are due by September 15, and individual returns are due by October 15.

I want to file an extension and wait until later in the year to file my return. How do I do this?

If you want us to file an extension on your behalf, email our office at: and let us know you’d like an extension filed.  

How do I turn my documents in once I have them?

Our Tax Time CPAs team will set up a secure portal to transfer documents during your welcome call. In this portal, you can upload everything for your return, and we can access it there. Once we finish your return, we will upload a copy for you and the signature pages. 

How long will my documents remain in the secure portal?

Tax Time CPAs discards old returns at the end of each year in preparation for the next tax season. We encourage you to download any documents you require copies of before the end of each year. 

How can I get a copy of my previous tax returns removed from the portal?

Our office keeps copies of your tax returns. If you need a copy, contact us at: Additional fees may apply.

Can I drop off hard copies of my tax documents?

The secure portal is much faster, but we understand that clients may sometimes prefer to drop off documents in one of our offices. To do so, please contact the office to schedule a time to drop it off. Once your tax return is complete, you must arrange a time to pick up the originals from our office. 

Thanks for checking out our Frequently Asked Questions. Call us if you don’t find the questions you need answering. We are here to help!

How do I pay for my tax return?

Payment information is required upon signing your proposal. Your credit card or bank account is charged only after the tax return is complete. If you need to make a payment, contact our office and we can process your payment over the phone. 

How long does a tax return take to complete?

Once we receive your tax documents, it generally takes two weeks to complete a return. Some factors can delay a return: 

  • If more information is required from the client;
  • A failure or delay in responding to our request for more information;
  • The high volume of returns in the queue during the peak tax season; 
  • Sending information via email. (Due to new IRS regulations, we can no longer open documents sent through email. The secure portal is required for transmitting electronic documents.)
If I'm married, what type of tax return do I need to file?

If you are married and filing jointly, you and your spouse will file one individual 1040 tax return, including people and their dependents. 

I want my refund to go directly to my bank account. What do you need from me to do this?

When you sign your tax return, just let us know that you want your refund direct deposited and supply us with your bank account number and routing number. You can type this in a word document and upload it to your secure portal. 

Thanks for checking out our Frequently Asked Questions. Call us if you don’t find the questions you need answering. We are here to help!

Once my tax return is complete, what is the process to file it?
  • First, we send you a copy of your tax return and signature pages through the secure portal. 
  • Once you review your return, print out the signature pages and sign (for joint returns, both parties must sign) 
  • Upload the signed copies to your secure portal. 
  • After receiving your signed pages, Tax Time CPAs will e-file your tax return.

It can take a couple of days for the IRS and state to accept or decline your return. 

How do I know if the IRS accepted my return?

When the IRS accepts a return, they will notify you by email. NOTE: States do not typically provide notification upon acceptance or rejection.  

How do I know if the IRS declined my return?

We will let you know if the IRS declines a return for any reason. We will also work with you to determine why and make the necessary corrections.  

My return was e-filed and accepted. How can I check the status of my return?

After your return is submitted and accepted by the IRS, we can no longer track it. You can go to the IRS website and use their “track my return” feature, or go to and find the tracker there. 

How long will it take to get my refund?

IRS refund processes vary from a few days to a few months. Generally speaking, they take longer to process during peak tax season. If you anticipate a refund, we encourage you to submit your tax documents early. 

What is the best way to contact someone in your office if I have questions or need assistance?

The best way to ensure you get a timely response is to send all communication to: 

Our team will make every effort to return phone calls and emails that come to us directly, but sometimes the volume of messages is more than we can respond to while working on completing tax returns.

By emailing our support inbox, one of our team members will respond as soon as possible and make sure your question is given to the correct person to answer.  

Why can't I no longer email or text my CPA directly?

Our offices have seen tremendous growth over the past couple of years, and we have hired more staff to ensure we deliver the best possible customer service. We have thoroughly trained our staff to answer client questions so our CPAs and tax preparers can focus on providing accurate and timely service. 

How much would I have had to make to file my taxes?

The threshold for 2022 is $12,950, so anyone who makes less than that isn’t required to file taxes, but is highly encouraged to do so. 

Thanks for checking out our Frequently Asked Questions. Call us if you don’t find the questions you need answering. We are here to help!

Why You Should Form a Family LLC

Why You Should Form a Family LLC

Establishing a family LLC is not new, but it is gaining speed as high-income earners seek ways to protect their hard-earned assets and develop generational wealth. Baby boomers have the highest household net worth of any US generation before. Defined by the Federal...

Supreme Court Increases IRS Reach in Major Decision

Supreme Court Increases IRS Reach in Major Decision

Last month, the U.S. Supreme Court unanimously favored the IRS in the court ruling, Polselli v. Internal Revenue Service, permitting the agency to request the financial records of delinquent taxpayers without notification to third-party businesses. Many believe the...

Small Business Tax Liabilities Higher Than Expected?

Small Business Tax Liabilities Higher Than Expected?

Small business owners have received an unexpected shock this tax season, with many owing more than expected. As the nation emerges from Covid-19, some businesses have experienced higher revenues and, therefore, higher tax liabilities than in the past two years. Tax...

Looking for tax news & tips?


You’ve come to the right place! Fill out the form below to get VIP access to our digital newsletters.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.